Comment by codegeek
5 years ago
I am an American and lucky not to have anything in Russia but as a namecheap customer, I urge you to please be patient with people and give them time to move. I understand the decision you made and it is your right to do so but please do not block someone just because they couldn't do it by a certain date. I am sure you know but empathy is really needed right now. Your March 6 deadline worries me.
We'll definitely consider extending the deadline if it is causing problems.
You are making a call right now that you will come to regret not unlike Matthew Prince (Cloudflare) did. Your reasoning is in the right spot, but the erosion of trust and the blanket nature of your decision right now is going to hurt you more than help anything.
I'd urge you to reconsider - if not I'll reconsider my business as well (not Russian related at all).
Agreed. While I politically agree with the Namecheap CEO in this case (which by the way, is a total coincidence), I'll move all of my domains out of Namecheap for the likely scenario that in the future the Namecheap CEO won't agree with me politically, since apparently now arbitrary political opinion determines if I can do business with them.
To be a voice on the other side. Cloudflare's call to stop supporting the white supremacist website that was boasting that cloudflare was supporting them is one of the reasons why I'm now a cloudflare customer. And while I currently use other registrars, this call is the strongest reason I've ever had to become a namecheap customer.
I'd much rather do business with people with morals and integrity, than those without. That's for moral reasons and business reasons, people with morals are less likely to screw you.
1 reply →
>Your reasoning is in the right spot, but the erosion of trust and the blanket nature of your decision right now is going to hurt you more than help anything.
Sometimes people are willing to take a sub-optimal decision in order to uphold what they believe in. Not everything has to have a positive ROI or an in-depth positive risk analysis
> that you will come to regret
This is news to me. I've not seen anything from Prince or Cloudflare that demonstrates they thought they made a bad decision.
Cloudflare is absolutely a false comparison. Punishing Nazis is a good thing. Punishing all Russians for the actions of a government they have no say in based solely on their nationality is being a Nazi (which is not a good thing).
Could you mention what was the Cloudflare decision you are referring to? I must have missed the news cycle. Thanks.
2 replies →
Cloudflare is a near-monopoly in its segment, Namecheap is not. There are plenty of alternatives.
How will you determine if it's causing problems, and at what point in the next 5 days will you potentially start those considerations?
We'll extend it for three weeks and if someone needs more time, I'll ask our support to make exceptions.
4 replies →
Why are you giving an unrealistic deadline when the transfer takes 5-7 days?
It would be rightful, if only Namecheap wouldn't deny me reimbursement for their move. =( They're just getting away with the money.